top of page
Maria and her husband Manfred run this pocket-sized (approximately 6 hectares) estate near Spitz, in the western part of the Wachau. Her family has links to the property that go back 300 years, when it was owned by St. Peter’s Stift in Salzburg. Her great-grandfather bought it from the church in 1931 after the financial crash obliged it to cash out. She has quietly been making wines of exemplary quality at moderate prices since taking over and has achieved increasing recognition in the Austrian wine press. The vineyard practices are solidly organic : composting, eschewal of herbicides and insecticides, feromonal pest-control, and leaving alternate vineyard rows unmown. Using minimal sulphur (below 5.5 gm) is another hallmark. The wines are sleek and pure, but also show flashes of Wachau grandeur without excess. The prices are truly exceptional.
City of Origin:
Maria and Manfred Hick
Total Annual Production:
From 1699 to 1930 mixed agricultural with viticulture, now they produce wine and apricots. Winery was founded in 1930 by Maria's great-grandfather Josef who was Hofmeister (manager) of abbey St. Peter's estate in Arnsdorf. The Abbey got into a financial crissi and had to sell the property and Josef lost his job. He founded his own estate in 1930.
Oldest family records date back to 1699. Maria took over in 2003 after completing viticultural school in Krems, manages estate with husband Manfred.
Wines By Maria Hick
bottom of page